Saturday, January 23, 2010

8x10 Chalkboards


These smaller chalkboards are great for playing with anywhere! 
My kids had a great time playing with them in their beds last night!  A long car trip would be a perfect time to pull them out.

I followed the same idea from the big frame, but added a padded bottom to make them more comfortable and cute!

For the pad I started with a piece of cardboard I cut to the same size as my frame.  I got these wooded frames at Wal-mart for $3 each.


Then I cut the batting to size.  I actually cut a long strip of the batting and "rolled" it up several times.

Cut the fabric a couple inches larger than the board and batting.

Using hot glue I went around the edges gluing the fabric to the cardboard keeping the fabric taught.



To give it just a little more I measured the center of the pillow and with embroidery floss and a large needle I stitched a few stitches.

Tie it with a good knot.

It adds just the right touch, don't you think?  You could add a button, or do two stitches.

I sanded down the corners of the frames.  They were a bit sharp.

This ocean blue is a favorite of mine.  I am on a bit of a teal and red kick.  They are so fun together!
I did sand a couple of them to give them that distressed look.  I followed it up with a matte top coat.  Kaylee wanted hers sparkly.


I cut the chalkboard to fit inside the frames and glued it in with the same construction adhesive. 
*Again, put the board in the frame, then glue it so the glue doesn't ooze out onto your project.

After the glue was dry I used hot glue to attach the pad onto the back.
There you have it! 
A fun portable chalkboard.
My niece will be getting one for her birthday!

4 comments:

Brianna Tuckett said...

Those are way fun and I think even I could do that! :)

One Sassy Momma said...

I love this idea! I teach preschool and we never have enough chalkboards. If I may ask, where did you purchase the chalkboard pieces?

Carrie said...

Thanks for the comments!
I made the chalkboards using a thin board($4) and chalkboard paint($10) from Home Depot. Then I cut the board into 8x10 pieces. In an earlier post, about another chalkboard, I blog about the painting process. Hope this helps!

Jeff and Ang said...

This was such a hit at Emma's party (: The girls loved it so much and were actually lined up to use it (: You are such a talented lady Carrie!!